The FAFSA is THE MOST important document you will fill out concerning your financial aid!
Here are some things to do BEFORE you start filling out the FAFSA!
- Get a Federal Student Aid PIN www.pin.ed.gov. Write it down! You need this to “sign” your online FAFSA. Keep it safe!
- One of your parents/guardians MUST get a PIN. Write it down! You need it to “sign” your online FAFSA!
Collect the following documents:
- Income tax returns, using income records for the year prior to the academic year for which you are applying.
- W-2 forms-and other records of income; If you work and you file a tax return, you must include this information in the FAFSA.
- Your Social Security number.
- Your parents’ Social Security numbers.
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen.
- Know your parent’s date of marriage; parent’s date of birth.
- Information on savings, investments, and business assets for yourself and for your parents if you are providing parent information.
- If you are married, you need to collect federal tax information or tax returns, including W-2 information, for yourself, for your spouse, and for your parents if you are providing parent information.
Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) after January 1st online at www.fafsa.gov or on paper, but completing the application online is faster and easier.
Interested in learning more about the financial aid process?
CLICK HERE to watch an in-depth webinar on the financial aid process from A to Z, presented by Eyra Perez (San Antonio Education Partnership) and Noé Ortiz (Alamo Colleges) and brought to you by CollegeWeekLive!