- Decide what your goals are, you may have skills and interests that may help you choose what field of study is best for you.
- Are you a first-timer or re-entering after an absence?
- Look into any prior credit hours you may have if you have attended before.
What kind of degree program do you want to work for?
- Certificate – completion of specialized courses usually for vocation or technical training.
- Associate’s degree – generally completion of two years of full-time academic study or a total of 60 semester credit hours.
- Bachelor’s degree – the completion of four years of full-time academic study or a total of 120 semester credit hours.
What school will you attend?
- Community College, Junior College, Vocational College – usually attended for completion of certificate programs or associate’s degrees.
- Four-Year Colleges and Universities (both public and private) – chosen for their degree programs from bachelor’s degrees and beyond.
How long will it take you to complete your education?
- Certificate programs last from 6 months to 2 years based on the program of study.
- Associate’s degrees can take 2 years and beyond depending on the number of courses taken at a time.
- Bachelor’s degrees will take4 + years, again depending on the number of courses taken at a time.
- Night and weekend classes are available for some programs at some colleges; it would pay to check into those programs through the college of interest.