The FAFSA TO DO List: Before you Start
Get a Federal Student Aid PIN at www.pin.ed.gov. Write it down! You need this to “sign” your online FAFSA. Keep it safe!
Collect the following documents:
- Income tax returns, using income records for the year prior to the academic year for which you are applying.
- W-2 forms and other records of income; If you work and you file a tax return, you must include this information in the FAFSA.
- Your Social Security number
- Your spouse’s Social Security number
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen.
- If you are married, know your date of marriage; date of birth
- Information on savings, investments, and business assets for yourself and for your spouse of you are married,
- If you are married, you need to collect federal tax information or tax returns, including W-2 information, for yourself and for your spouse.
Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) after January 1st online at www.fafsa.gov or on paper, but completing the application online is faster and easier.